Thursday 22 December 2011

Literary Landscapes


"I carve landscapes out of books and I paint Romantic landscapes. Mountains of disused knowledge return to what they really are: mountains."


My initial thought at looking at these was first "wow" and then "ouch" for the books... I have such deep love for old books and seeing them carved up is somewhat jarring, but I also love nature and beautiful landscapes like the ones above. All that aside, the amount of detail and intricacy in these sculptures is just mesmerising and beautifully haunting. 

They're created by Guy Laramee, a multidisciplinary artist. These were from two sculptural series that he created, and reading what he had to say about them makes me feel a bit better about the books...

"Piles of obsolete encyclopedias return to that which does not need to say anything, that which simply IS. Fogs and clouds erase everything we know, everything we think we are.

After 30 years of practice, the only thing I still wish my art to do is this: To project us into this thick Cloud of Unknowing."

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover